If you have dropped a blackberry bold and managed to crack or damage the screen screen in any way, if the phone isn’t covered by insurance then the easiest solution is to buy a replacement LCD screen.
There are a number of new replacement screens available on eBay for around £30.00, you must however ensure that you buy one with the same model number. Continue reading “Replacing the BlackBerry Bold LCD Screen”
After receiving numerous requests to allow the SubHeading value in my plugin to be searched when carrying out a default search, I turned my attention to finding a method to achieve this in WordPress 2.9.x.
The plugin stores a custom post meta entry for any post or page that requires a subtitle, in order to append this field to the search query I required the use of two actions. Continue reading “Extend WordPress search to include custom post meta”
I’ve been having a few issues reported to me regarding the sending of email through a web based email form to numerous Windows Live Hotmail accounts.
At first I assumed that they were simply getting marked as Junk until told this was not the case, so signed up for a new Hotmail account of my own to test with and found out they weren’t getting through at all. Continue reading “Helping email get through to Hotmail / live accounts”
If you use posts within WordPress to generate content, such as Frequently Asked Questions or Help Guides, it’s quite often the case that you don’t want these to appear on the posts page of your blog.
Instead of having to re-create the whole query, you can append a comma separated list of category ID’s that you want to exclude to the end of the original query and fetch the new data set to be used. Continue reading “WordPress exclude categories from homepage”
There is an issue with the jQuery 1.3.2 document ready function in WebKit based browsers that which can cause numerous problems if you are manipulating the DOM, in my situation getting the width / height of an element.
Using the .width() and .height() methods were working fine in every other browser but Safari, which I thought was a little bit odd. After trying to come up with an alternative method of coding calculating the heights and comparing them in FireBug and Web Inspector, I set about Googling the problem. Continue reading “jQuery document ready bug in Safari / WebKit”
I recently discovered that the Twitter application Seesmic had been ported onto the BlackBerry and was available via the App World.
Unfortunately after downloading and installing, I encountered a problem which meant it could not connect and fetch any updates. Continue reading “APN settings for BlackBerry Bold on O2 (UK)”
Over the past few days I’ve been setting up a small and simple, yet long term project in which I intend to write at least one blog post a day for entire year, starting with the first post on 1st January 2010.
The project preparation started on the 24th December when I registered the domain name yearblog.co.uk (a little dull, but to the point). Once that and the hosting side of things were ready I installed the latest version of WordPress (2.9) and began coming up with a few ideas for simple theme. Continue reading “An attempt to write a blog post a day for a whole year”
An update to the WordPress SubHeading plugin was committed on Wednesday 2nd December, which added the ability to completely remove all stored subheadings when deactivating the plugin.
This new ‘tidy’ feature was enabled by default, but I failed to remember that during the plugin upgrade process the plugin was deactivated and then activated once the new version had been successfully installed.
Because of this and the ‘tidy’ setting active, the hooks I had in place always (wrongly) assumed that it was a new install, rather than an upgrade, and therefore may have removed all the subheading values you had set.
As of version 1.2 this feature is disabled by default, and checks for any previous version of the plugin before resetting your options and deleting the meta values (subheadings).
Apologies to anyone who has suffered from a loss of data, and I hope all these issues are now resolved as of the latest version (1.2).
The WordPress SubHeading plugin allows you to add sub titles to both your blog posts and pages. Last night it followed in the footsteps of my Page Meta plugin by reaching the 1,000 downloads mark.
Yesterday saw over 100 downloads as a result of numerous modifications and updates, some of which due to mistakes on my behalf which was mildly irritating. The main reason behind all the updates was to cater for numerous feature requests and bugs reported by users of the plugin. Continue reading “WP SubHeading Plugin (1,000 downloads)”
The WordPress Page Meta plugin was initially written as a simple solution for adding meta descriptions to pages on a site I have been working on, as this is not available by default. Today it broke through the 1,000 downloads mark.
The plugin quite quickly evolved into a solution that allowed for keywords as well as descriptions to be added, as well as the ability to set a custom page title. If required the page title can even be defined in your page template, allowing for dynamic pages / templates to have specific titles. Continue reading “WP Page Meta Plugin (1,000 downloads)”